Many of these documents are in PDF format and can be viewed using Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Military Service Records of President George W. Bush
Records of the President's military service in the Texas Air National Guard and other assignments during the years 1968 to 1973.
Military Records of First Lieutenant George W. Bush for National Guard Service Between 1972 and 1973:|
Please note: The following four documents were originally obtained by CBS News and sent to FindLaw by the White House on September 8, 2004. However, CBS News issued a statement Monday, September 20, 2004, stating in part that the network "cannot prove the authenticity of documents used in a 60 Minutes story about President Bush's National Guard service and . . . airing the story was a 'mistake' that CBS regretted."
- Aug. 1, 1972 Memo ordering Bush's suspension from the Texas Air National Guard's 111th Fighter Interceptor Squadron.
- May 4, 1972 Memo ordering Bush to report for his annual physical examination with the Texas Air National Guard by no later than May 14, 1972.
- May 19, 1972 Memo to the file from Bush's commanding officer about a telephone call from Bush asking about how he "can get out of coming to drill," and suspecting that "he's...been talking to someone upstairs."
- Aug. 18, 1973 ‘CYA’ Memo from Lt. Col. Killian suggesting that his superior officer, Col. Walter B. Staudt, was "pushing to sugar coat" Bush's officer evaluation.
Military Service Records of Senator John F. Kerry
Records of Senator Kerry's military service in the U.S. Navy during the Vietnam War.
Military Records of Lieutenant (Junior Grade) John F. Kerry for U.S. Navy Military Service During The Vietnam War, 1968 - 1969 Note: Kerry was promoted to (Full) Lieutenant on Jan. 1, 1970 prior to requesting a discharge
- Purple Heart Awards (3) (PDF) For wounds received in action on Dec. 2, 1968, Feb. 20, 1969, and Mar. 17, 1969
- Silver Star (PDF) For displaying "courage under fire, outstanding leadership, and exemplary professionalism" while acting as the Officer in Charge of a Tactical Command on Feb. 28, 1969.
- Bronze Star (PDF) For "professionalism, great personal courage under fire, and complete dedication to duty" in rescuing, while wounded, a man overboard following a mine explosion, directing his gunners to provide supporting fire for the rescue, and towing a damaged boat to safety under enemy fire on March 13, 1969
- Acceptance of Discharge Naval Reserve (PDF) July 13, 1978
- Background Information (PDF) Feb. 1, 1966
- Bupers Orders to Gridley (PDF) Nov. 17, 1966
- Change of Duty (PDF) July 8, 1968
- DD214 (PDF)
- Duty Recommendations (PDF)
- Emergency Data (PDF) Sept. 12, 1967
- Enlistment Contract (PDF) Feb. 18, 1966
- Enlistment Photo (PDF) Dec. 16, 1966
- Fitness Reports (PDF) Apr. 12, 1967
- Honorable Discharge from Reserve (PDF) Feb. 16, 1978
- Leave Record (PDF)
- National Defense Service Medal (PDF)
- Naval Messages (PDF) Dec. 8, 1969
- Naval OCS Report (PDF)
- Nuclear Weapons Training Certificate (PDF) For training from May 8 - 11, 1967
- Office Order Memos (PDF) Dec. 5, 1969
- Officer Candidate Agreement (PDF) Feb. 18, 1966
- Order to Officer Candidate (PDF) July 14, 1966
- Pay Entry Base Date (PDF) Listed as Feb. 18, 1966
- Personnel Casualty Report (PDF)
- Presidential Unit Citation (PDF) "For Extraordinary Herosim" from Dec. 6, 1968 to Mar. 31, 1969
- Qualifying Questionnaire (PDF) Oct. 16, 1970
- Recommendations for Next (PDF) Nov. 24, 1969
- Record of Discharge (PDF)
- Release From Active Duty (PDF) Jan. 2, 1970
- Report of Home of Record (PDF) Dec. 1966
- Request for History of Service (PDF) May 24, 1986
- Request for Swiftboat Duty (PDF) Feb. 10, 1968
- Research Sheet F4-15 (PDF) June 21, 1967
- Reserve Office Appointment (PDF) Dec. 16, 1966
- Security Clearances (PDF) Dec. 16, 1966
- Service Record (PDF) Prepared Jan. 25, 1985
- Serviceman's Life Insurance (PDF) Dec. 8-9, 1968
- Statement of Service (PDF) June 21, 1967
- Thrice Wounded Reassignment (PDF) March 17, 1969
- Top Secret Clearance (PDF) April 28, 1969
- Training School Record (PDF) Feb. 18, 1968
- Transfer to Standby Reserve (PDF) March 1, 1972
- Travel Payment Order (PDF) Undated
- Vietnam Service Medal (PDF) April 8, 1968
(Source: John Kerry for President, Inc.).