Thursday, Sep. 14, 2017

Prosecutor drops charges for 2 men arrested at RNC protest

By The Associated Press

CLEVELAND (AP) — Charges have been dropped against two men accused of hitting police officers during a flag-burning protest at the Republican National Convention in Cleveland last year.

The men, 24-year-old Dominique Knox and 38-year-old Joseph Scogin, had pleaded not guilty to striking officers during the protest. Cleveland.com reports (http://bit.ly/2h3GGEq ) the defendants' lawyers said Wednesday that the county prosecutor had dropped charges.

One of the attorneys, Terry Gilbert, says the decision is a victory for free speech.

Lawyers for the protesters say 12 people still face aggravated disorderly conduct and obstruction charges in Cleveland Municipal Court.

___

Information from: cleveland.com, http://www.cleveland.com

2017-09-14 09:52:15 GMT

Copyright 2017. The Associated Press All Rights Reserved.
The information contained in the AP News report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed
Ads by FindLaw