|Tuesday, Dec. 31, 2013|
President Barack Obama's Hawaii vacation: Day 11
- GYM: After a late dinner outing the night before, the president woke up early for a one-hour morning workout at Marine Corps Base Hawaii. As his motorcade passed in front of the base's gate on the way in, two middle-aged spectators were doing aerobics in the driveway.
- SNORKELING: Obama and his family went to Hanauma Bay, a popular snorkeling area closed to the public on Tuesdays. As they arrived, about two dozen onlookers gathered along a highway turnoff to take pictures.
- PROCLAMATIONS: White House officials said Obama signed three presidential proclamations Tuesday, for National Slavery and Human Trafficking Prevention Month, National Stalking Awareness Month, and National Mentoring Month.
- SHAVE ICE: In the afternoon, Obama went with his daughters to a local Kailua shop for shave ice. The president ordered cherry and lemon-lime flavors for his dessert, then shook hands with some of about two dozen people crowded in a roped-off area outside a nearby pizzeria in the tiny strip mall near the beach.
"I hope you guys have a great 2014," Obama told the crowd. As he left, he flashed a shaka gesture.
- LOW-KEY NEW YEAR'S EVE: The president and his family planned to stay in at their Kailua vacation home to celebrate New Year's Eve with friends, the White House said.2014-01-01 02:04:25 GMT
Copyright 2013. The Associated Press All Rights Reserved.
The information contained in the AP News report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.